Gyotaku - traditional art in modern times

Post-Modern Art: Gyotaku - Traditional Art in Modern Times

Gyotaku is a popular form of art in tropical countries such as Japan and has been used for centuries. In the past, many people did not know how to read and were not able to read the menus in restaurants. The menu was up on the wall and often changed daily, making it even more difficult for many customers. To help fix this, fish printing became popular as a way to show what was being featured that day, so even if customers were not able to read, they could still order from a menu. This brought in more business for the restaurants and quickly became a popular form of art throughout the country.  


https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=19dFTxibJy4puCp1AWeyraZiYtZtCW56n
Giant Pacific Octopus by Dwight Hwang, 2022

This piece was made in 2022 in his hometown of Orange Country, California. He is originally from Japan and still holds on to those traditional values. Fish printing and other traditional forms of art are “classic and timeless, and with Japanese art, it′s usually deceptively simple” (Hwang, 2021).


Summer Light Gingko by Dwight Hwang, 2022

This piece, also made in 2022, is a print of a Gingko tree which is found in China. The process behind the print is incredible because, depending on what is being printed, he has to alter the ink to make sure it transfers to the paper correctly.   

I was first introduced to this form of art only a few weeks ago, when Dwight Hwang came to the museum I am currently an intern at. As soon as I laid my eyes on it, I instantly fell in love with the style. The simplistic look and the life-like features of the animals is one of a kind. I especially like the amount of detail that is captivated in his pieces. 

The tone of these prints is what makes them so life-like. The different shades of the ink on top of itself add depth and make it look realistic. The different shades and the contrast of the dark on white makes the fish practically jump off the page. I would be honored to have either of these prints in my home and put it on display for all to see. The story, the tradition, and the work all come together to form one amazing print.


https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1qtv7qCB-3t846PNzuAcfs6mgVEmo-Nm_

Menpachi by Naoki Hayashi, 2018

About 100 years ago in Japan, fishermen created gyotaku prints to record their prized catches”, and today, Naoki Hayashi is bringing that tradition back to life (Hayashi, 2019). Artist Hayashi has been making fish prints since the age of 11. With fishing and diving as his favorite pastimes, Hayashi uses these experiences to bring his prints to life. Because he has such respect for nature and the creatures he uses, “he will only create gyotaku art from fish that will be eaten” (Hayashi, 2019). 

Made in Hawaii, the colors in this piece, as well as his other works, portray the way they are found in real life, the beauty of nature. The fish in the print is a Menpachi, also known as a Hawaiian cave fish. They are found throughout Hawaiian waters, blessing divers with their vibrancy. The red paint used emulates the fish’s natural color, which is nearly invisible in the darkness of the caves where they reside. 


Purple Haze by Naoki Hayashi, 2019

I love this piece because of the way the fish and the octopus are set up. It looks like the fish are swimming after and trying to eat the octopus. The colors on the fish are bright while the octopus is dark, adding more emphasis to the fish. 

I would love to have both of these in my home because it almost feels like I can bring Hawaii to my house. I know that I will never be able to see all the sea creatures that I want, but with prints like this, I feel like I still get the experience of seeing them myself. I also really like that the fish do not go to waste, he ensures that they are eaten so their sacrifice is not in vain. 

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1T8Bdl-C0q9u1pIObKsZD7wqXcGw-zcYb


Lake Trout by Joe Higgins, 2021

Joe Higgins began his gyotaku journey when he was visiting a friend and saw a fish print on his wall. Sparking his interest, he decided it would be a great trophy for his catches and, if they turned out well, he could sell them and raise money for fishing events. 

This piece was made in Salem, Washington, where it hung until it was sold. The fish in the print is a Lake Trout, also called a grey trout. They are very common in the lakes of Northern North America, making them an easy choice for printing. 

Wolffish by Joe Higgins, 2019

I particularly enjoy this print because of the stripes on the side of the fish. The way that the artist has to add extra ink onto the fish and make sure it is just the right consistency astonishes me. Works of art such as this are beautifully simple, yet still complex.  

There are many patterns in both these and other prints. Since they are printed on real fish, the patterns of nature transfer directly to the paper. This can be seen in the scales of the fish, the rays of their fins, and sometimes even their expressions. Patterns are found throughout the world and can be seen in gyotaku prints everywhere. However, for the stripes on the side of the fish, they have to be added by using extra ink and possibly several times printing. This is because, even though the pattern can be found in nature, the ink is not able to bind to the stripes specifically, so they have to be added manually by the artist. 

I would love to have these prints if I were given the opportunity. Not only are they incredible pieces, but I also love the backstory. The fact that he began printing because of a work that was hanging in his friend’s house and, with no previous knowledge on the subject, began a new hobby, obsession, and career. 

Gyotaku continues to be a popular form of art around the world, making traditional style printing accessible even today. It brings life to the page by using real fish, or other organisms, as a template. The beauty is like nothing else, and its detail is one of a kind. This is one of my favorite forms of art, and I would love to see it continue to progress. 

Citations

艾德琳 Adelina. (2021, January 10). Gyotaku art by Dwight Hwang. Our Narratives. Retrieved July 11, 2022, from https://ournarratives.net/gyotaku-art-by-dwight-hwang/ 

Higgins, J. (n.d.). The story. fishedimpressions. Retrieved July 11, 2022, from https://fishedimpressions.com/pages/the-story

Hayashi, N. (n.d.). About Gyotaku. Gyotaku By Naoki. Retrieved July 11, 2022, from https://gyotaku.com/about-naoki

Comments

  1. Gyotaku was fascinating to learn about. I wonder if this practice was so commonplace that most people within this culture were able to produce similar prints, or if Gyotaku was reserved for artists? I know some cultures use common symbols and learn to draw them the same way we learn to write our letters in the US. I like Hwang's "Giant Pacific Octopus" for its simplicity and flow/balance and Hayashi's use of color. Thank you for your post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the choice of artwork you chose for this blog they are all very attention grabbing but favorite is the “Menpachi”. From growing up living off of salmon almost daily, I still can't find anything that I love more than salmon. I love the way he used the pink in the red makes it look so realistic. It reminds me of my topic for another class I’m taking. I chose a topic on “where are the king salmon in Alaska”. I will be researching why the numbers of salmon are so low. The most interesting part of the painting’s history is that he will only create gyotaku art from fish that will be eaten. Which is really awesome and shows respect for the fish. Great work Destiny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aleutia! sorry, just having too much fun reading everyone's posts, got names mixed up.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing. I know I've seen this style before but never knew the name. The first painting you presented is by far my favorite. It is so life-like and I instantly thought the animal had been used like a stamp! What an interesting process this is. I like that the inks aren't too heavy and almost look like a watercolor. The detail it catches is remarkable, and I agree, the story behind the origin of this style is really inspiring.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Irises Art Analysis

Classical - Science and Discovery: Advancements Through Art

Preferences and Perspectives - The Romantic Era