Life in the Aleutians

 

Life in the Aleutians


My name is Aleutia Peters and I am currently going to the University of Alaska Fairbanks to study Marine Biology. I grew up and currently live in the Aleutian islands, specifically on Unalaska. I am working at the Museum of the Aleutians where I am able to dive deeper into the history and culture of the island, learning more about the past and helping to preserve that knowledge for the future. I have found that looking at art from previous years is a great way to take a glimpse into the past and see what has changed and what has remained the same. 

The image above shows two Unangan people in a baidarka with Unalaska island in the background. I found this piece interesting because, having grown up on the island, I am able to see what the town used to look like and how much it has changed over the years. I enjoy going to the art shows put on by the community where I am able to see the different pieces that have been created locally. It is nice to think that, on this island in the middle of nowhere, people are inspired to create works of astonishing beauty, motivated by the natural artistry around them. Personally, I like to paint with watercolors because it helps me to express the joy I feel inside and portray it in a way that can be seen by others. I am thrilled to be able to share about how this island has given me an appreciation for art and how every perspective is unique and brings a new understanding to the world around us.  


Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What you had to say about "in the middle of nowhere" really resonates with me. I find small town and mid sized towns to have more creativity per capita than large cities. I think you're really going to enjoy this class.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great introduction. I am so fascinated by communities in remote areas such as the Aleutian Islands. I grew up in Ohio in a town with a population of 426, but I feel like that is nothing compared to the villages of Alaska. I like what you said about people in the middle of nowhere being inspired to produce such art. I'm sure the landscape alone is enough inspiration! I'm excited to read more of your blogs and see your point of view on pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, beautifully put. As someone who's mainly appreciates the creations of art, I love looking at art and thinking of the emotions and motives to create and paint. It was nice to see it, read it from your perspective.
    I truly enjoy looking for the pieces that speak of joy and life, adventure and beauty, pieces that capture details, places and emotion so well it strikes you. Thanks for sharing, excited to learn with you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Irises Art Analysis

Preferences and Perspectives - The Romantic Era